Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year, New Challenges

Hello and a huge thank you to all who have been so supportive with thoughts, prayers, and donations. I promise that once I am back home and better recovered, I will respond to your cards, letters, and emails.

So yes, I have gotten a liver through a very sudden sequence of events. Getter sicker and potentially losing the chance of a live donor (part of a liver) I was again admitted to the hospital where apparently I had a bad fall. Not long after my position on the transplant list went higher, and suddenly a liver was available. Surgery was done quickly, though I was pretty out of touch before, during and after.
Chances for recovery are better, though, with the whole (deceased) liver option.

Goddess blessings to all of you who have healthy organs and note youself willing to be an organ donor. You have no idea how it can change so many lives.

The work seems to be ongoing, though. I'm receiving an education here from the Transplant Clinic staff. The patients who make the best recovery are the ones who are able to manage large amounts of information. I've also had to cempletely adjust my thinking. I've spent years looking after my health and finding ways to boost my immune system. Now I've got to be on medicantions that suppress my immune functions, so the new liver won't be rejected. After a period of time feeling overwhelmed, I'm trying to embrace this opportunity, take whatever time I have left, and challenge myself to visit some new territories.


Blessings to you all.

Laura

No comments: